Wednesday, May 23, 2012

In Defense Of The Ridiculous.

I always had a thought. I want to find out about a person that most of the population finds deplorable, horrible, a vile human being... and then sit down with a tea or some other civilized drink and have a chat with them to find out about their point of view.
What if you could go up to the crazy drunk person that is shouting and babbling nonsense in the middle of the street, the type that everyone looks at in disgust,... in order to ask them if they would like a drink and a chat? What are they doing? What are their thoughts?

I think that I will draw the line about chatting to street preachers because... you know.... as long as they don't talk too much about their personal beliefs or give me any quotes from that well known book they seem to like so much.

I bet if I sat down with Hitler, he would no doubt be charming and interesting to talk to... but I would never talk to him because of that little (massive) hiccup(s) that he did a few decades ago.

I wish to talk about the ridiculous and the awe inspiring greatness of comic books (and is also linked to the subject of this blog). I started to read comic books in my GCSE years at school as a way to gain a light relief from revision. I started by going to the local shops and buying issues of 2000 ad. As time went on I looked at American comics and got into the various titles that were available. They are great ten minute bursts of thrilling brilliance while you have a break from whatever you are doing. Great disposable literature (although nowadays no one disposes of their comic books... they either sell them or collect them).
I have always loved the story-lines of comic books. Many story arcs may have been built up over weeks, months or even years. These create a wonderful interweaving history of the characters and the world that they inhabit but also makes it thrilling to read. I REALLY want everyone who reads about me ranting about comic books on this post, to pick up at least one issue of any title of your choosing. Most single issues are commonly about £2- something and you can also appreciate the art work as well as the stories... and if you start collecting then you can be constantly reminded of all of the twists and turns had happened many issues ago and still be thrilled by the past stories.
This is why some of the stories are ridiculous... in a wonderful, fantastic, glorious way... marvelous way. I shall give you an example of a real story arc... the story arc being called 'The Apocalypse Solution.' Here is how the story arc goes (it stretches a few issues)...

There is a group of superhumans who have banded together in order to tackle threats on mankind and superhuman kind through lethal means. The first ever 'superhuman' was overcome some time ago (he is a villain by the way) but it was found by this team that the first superhuman... whose name is Apocalypse has been reborn as a child. They find that this evil first superhuman called Apocalypse is on a moon base... on the moon... and that in child form he has no idea about his past life but is being taught about his legacy by a sentient spaceship that manifests itself in the shape of an old woman... also the story includes a geisha girl that shoots deadly bugs from her mouth and the minotaur from ancient myth.


...and that description is the dumbed down version. I would say that I read prose novels more but I have grown a great enthusiasm for the comic book medium.

Over and Out.
ED.


No comments:

Post a Comment