Friday, June 1, 2012

Ed's Thought(s) of Yesterday.

While I was walking between two villages yesterday (for various reasons) I was thinking about a storytelling medium that I could potentially live without.

The storytelling types that I thought while I was walking went thusly and so on,

1. Books.
2. The Theater.
3. Comics.
4. Oral Storytelling.
5. Television series and Film.
6. Radio.

Obviously humans need stories through some means. Which one could I live without? I came to the conclusion that television will have to go if push comes to shove. This was my line of thinking...

If you think about it television series and films are just ebooks of the theatre... 

I say they are ebooks of the theatre because television is the electric version of the theatre just as  kindles are the electric version of the book...

So basically television stuff and films are merely extensions of theatrical performances on stage (but have the obvious differences that are part of the television/film storytelling medium).

So basically I could still get a similar experience from the theater and watching a play and still be highly enriched...

You may also be thinking... but what about if you want those ongoing series that you get on television? You can't go to the theater every week as the actors and actresses would have to learn a new ongoing script all the time. Well the answer to ongoing series are comic books and the radio. Comics are just as visual and radio is also good... plus it encourages you to use the imagination a bit differently because you invoke the scene in your head with a little visual stimulation...

So television would have to go I suppose.

And to finish this post I am currently reading 'The Historian' by Elizabeth Kostova.

Peace Out.

Over and Out.
ED.

No comments:

Post a Comment