Sunday, December 5, 2010

I see my dad at the theatre with my silver tipped cane, wearing a fake beard.

I travelled home this weekend in order to see my dad do some singing and acting. When my sisters were younger they went to a dance school called Starlight Theatre School. Every year this theatre school would put on a production that they had been rehearsing over the year. There were times when a man was needed (of a certain age) to play a part...and so they asked my dad. When sister twin and little sister left he continued to be offered parts. So I travelled back to Leicester to see him play an old man in an interpretation of Mary Poppins.
As some people may know, I have been taking part in storytelling at my university. I decided some time ago that I wished to be a gypsy storyteller so the next step was to look the part. I compiled certain items of clothing; a hat, a white shirt, a waistcoat and a silver tipped cane. My dad took the cane for the musical...I distinctly remember him waving it about in a waving action at the end when everybody was bowing. I was wondering whether he could have nearly hit a child...but he didn't. He was wearing a big, bushy beard throughout the whole thing (he played the part of the old man who died laughing after hearing a joke...and they they flew a kite...not my dad because he was dead, but everyone else did anyway).
The tale ends here. A good weekend. The earth continues to spin...to Christmas time.

Over and Out.
ED

No comments:

Post a Comment