Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Hermann Hesse.

I am going to be annoyingly philosophical in this post so be warned. I was looking on the Internet and I happened, for whatever reason, to come upon quotes by a man named Hermann Hesse. He was a Swiss, German born poet, novelist and painter. He lived through the First and Second World War and saw things like the rise of Nazism in Germany first hand.
I began to read quotes that he made during his lifetime. I read them and agreed wholeheartedly. Wow, I thought. He seemed like a great man. Here are quotes that I thought really rang true for me.

“I am fond of music I think because it is so amoral. Everything else is moral and I am after something that isn't. I have always found moralizing intolerable.”
Hermann Hesse.

“The Truth is lived, not taught.”
Herman Hesse.

“People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest.”
Hermann Hesse.

“You are only afraid if you are not in harmony with yourself. People are afraid because they have never owned up to themselves.”
Herman Hesse.

“You know quite well, deep within you, that there is only a single magic, single power, a single salvation... and that is called loving. Well, then, love your suffering. Do not resist it, do not flee from it. It is your aversion that hurts, nothing else”
Herman Hesse.

“Those who cannot think or take responsibility for themselves need, and clamor for, a leader.”
Herman Hesse.


Does anybody see truth in any of these quotes also? It's interesting stuff anyway. I'm off to get my mind blown by other quotes on the Internet. T.T.F.N.



Over and Out.
ED

No comments:

Post a Comment