Thursday, April 26, 2012

It Doesn't Affect Anyone So Give 'Em Gay Marriage. If They Want.

I wrote this because I believe that people have rights that go beyond some religious views... I emphasize that I said views... not truths...mere views.

Also I would like to think that people find it important to stand up for other peoples rights out of decency really. We all have the right to some rights.  So here I go I suppose.

I was inspired to write this post because of an article (see link at the end of this post) and a conversation I had.

I shall start by saying the obvious... gay people all around the world are born gay. If you tell a gay person to stop being gay you may as well also tell them to take off their own head and play catch with it.

I shall also put forth my view that I am  FOR gay people getting married if they want to do so. It isn't even an issue in my eyes. I see no problem whatsoever, in fact I think it is a natural step for society to take.

I am now going to talk about...(gasp)... religion. I believe that many religious people nowadays don't disagree with gay marriage because of what they think marriage is about plus the desire to keep their religion how it is... and these people are not necessarily homophobic at all.

I was talking today to an (unnamed) person who happened to be Catholic (my family happen to be Catholic so I'm not having a go at something I know nothing about). This was partly the inspiration for me writing about the issue on this post. This is a basic version of how the conversation went.

Ed: What do you think of gay marriage?


U: I don't think there should be gay marriage... I have nothing against gay people but I don't believe they should be allowed to marry in a church.


Ed: Why?


U: It takes away the whole point of marriage.


Ed: What do you think the point of marriage is?


U: One of the main points of marriage is to make a promise between a man and a woman that they will stay together so that they may be able to have children and create a family. Gay people can't reproduce, so they go against one of the main points of marriage.

Ed: But what about straight couples that get married in a church but decide that they don't want kids?


U: But they are capable of having kids.


Ed: Don't you think that everyone has a right to make that special promise to someone, no matter what their gender.


U: Well yes, gay people can do that... it's called civil partnership.


Ed: But what if they believe in God and they want to make that promise in front of their God in a church.


U: Well that goes against the teachings of the church.


Ed: Really? Jesus didn't say anything at all about homosexuals.


U: Yeah but gay marriage goes against the traditional teachings of the church.


Ed: If your God disagrees with gays then why did he make them in the first place then? Would he not think it was fine for a gay couple to make a marriage promise, to love and cherish each other. I thought you believed that God was loving and would want to promote love.


U: Yeah but it goes against church teachings.

... and so on.

The main reasons (in Britain anyway) that people are against gay marriage is because,
(1.) They have a different definition of what marriage is and what it is meant for.
(2.) The teachings of Christianity go against gay marriage... and they don't want to change those teachings.
(3.) They don't like change that they might see as being too radical.
(4.) Welll *cough* well yes I suppose they might actually just homophobic... but not always.

So they are not homophobic, they might just think that marriage is for straight people. Maybe there are some out there that are afraid of it all happening too quickly; some might want things to change more gradually (in some way), not all at once... which is fair enough I suppose... who am I to condemn that?

So I suppose if gay rights activists wish gay marriage to come about they need to make some people change their mind about the definition of marriage. There are some that are not for change just because they don't like it... so I suppose these people need to be somehow lured out of their comfort zone so they might be able to see things differently... if they don't want to see things differently then that is their choice and again... I suppose, again, who am I to condemn that?... because others might be willing to step outside of their comfort zone and see things differently.

Gay marriage isn't a threat to anyone... it's just a 'thing'.

Other people getting married to the same gender doesn't affect my life... it affects theirs. Why should it bother me or anyone else?

Let the gay babies have their bottle if they want it.

If you disagree with me for 'reasonable' reasons that is fine... freedom and all that... but I disagree.

Peace Out, whether you be gay, straight, bi... or Jeremy Clarkson.

Hail Diversity. Respect.

Over and Out.
ED.

Here is the link to the article I read.
http://www.newstatesman.com/religion/2012/04/scruffies-against-straights


  • P.S- I (mostly) don't like to hold political views like this on my blog all the time. Also don't assume just because the article is from New Statesman that I'm left... I could be right or indeed centre... oi read all sorts of publications oi do.

No comments:

Post a Comment