Tuesday, November 5, 2013

(Nlog Day 4). Culture Jamming.


Last blog post I talked about symbols and it is through this that I have written this post as a follow- on. Read if you want to... if you're interested.

I'm going to talk about culture jamming. The phenomenon is an anti- consumerist movement and is a good example of the use of symbols in society.

Symbols are the main way that humans interact, interpret and understand the world. We are all born as symbolising animals... and as an avatar of a thought, idea, concept (and shizz) you can affect and manipulate your brain.

My understanding of culture jamming is that it is meant to decondition people's minds to the use of symbols in the media.

A simplistic example is the Mcdonald's 'M'. That can be used to condition you to eat fast food a lot more. If you are exposed to a certain symbol over time in your day- to- day life, then it will slowly seep into your subconsciousness and make you more likely to buy a certain product... culture jamming reverses the process I suppose.

Here a few examples that I swiftly gathered:




...and...



Just a subject of interest.

Over and Out.
ED.

No comments:

Post a Comment