Sunday, October 2, 2011

Redwall and My Nostalgia Binge.

I picked up a book called 'Mattimeo', one in a series of books written by Brian Jacques. I began flicking through my old collection of these series of books known as the Redwall series and relived the moments of magic that I had when I read the books as a child.
For those who you who don't know about the books, the Redwall books are stories about anthropomorphic creatures in a medieval type setting. All of the books surround, in some way, an Abbey in a land named Mossflower Woods. These books were brilliant beyond words. The first book written by Brian Jacques was called Redwall...unsurprisingly. It was about a young mouse that lived in Redwall Abbey, that rose as a warrior and defeated a band of sea rats lead by a one eyed villain known as Cluny the Scourge. These were all pretty amazing.
The stories go through generation upon generation of inhabitants in Redwall Abbey and the surrounding area. There is only one small niggle about the books. Why are quite a lot of rats depicted as the 'bad ones'? Surely you can't be instantly bad because you are a certain species? Brian Jacques has never been know to be a Nazi or a secret racist anyway and the kids that read these books won't give a hoot about these details... I didn't anyway when I was young.
So I am starting to read all of the old stories I read during my childhood.

...and I am writing. Here is an extract to the first bit of a story I have been writing.

"He swung himself into the car and slammed the door. He was going to the home where Fathers Incarnation Remnant was... in the city of Leicester."


 It is just a first draft and you can't tell if the story is good or not from the extract (neither do I and I've read the first draft) but I'm going to develop on it and make it a work on peronius chintiquity...can you tell which two words are made up in this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment