Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Laura Marling Gig (with pictures).

While sitting down watching the television while browsing on the laptop my sister and I happened to go on the website of Laura Marling to check up on the gigs and if there was one nearby. Most people are unlucky when trying to get Laura Marling tickets because she is frustratingly sold out most of the time. But that night we were lucky. Tickets were on sale for a matinee performance at Birmingham Cathedral. After we saw this exciting piece of information on the site this was the conversation that went between my sister and I,
"Can we afford it?"
"Yeah, just about."
"Do you reckon we should go for it then?"
"YES. ABSOLUTELY!"
"Yeah yeah yeah... but do you think we should do it for definite?"
"Yeah, book it."
"So we are going to do it then?"
"Yeeeeeaaaahhhhhhh."


A month or so later which is today 29th October we drove down to Birmingham to the cathedral. As we sat down waiting for her to come on we talked about why Laura Marling was amazing and what songs we wanted her to do,

1. Salinas.
2. Rambling Man.
3. Night Terrors.
4. Goodbye England.
5. Alas I Cannot Swim.


... and she played all these songs. Between songs she admitted that she should be more organised because she had not written a set list... yet she knew exactly the songs we wanted to hear.



When she came on everyone was transfixed. She acted humbly, talking quietly. While she was singing she was in her own world. As my sister put it, she looked like an angel, just her guitar and her voice. The songs felt very real. I could hear a lot of deep breathing in in the crowd, closed mouth smiles, as if everyone was hypnotised.
What I learnt that she is a month younger than me... and she has all that talent... some people have all the luck.



I love live music, especially music of this quality. If no one has ever known about Laura Marling LISTEN to her. Unlike a lot of artists when people listen to Laura Marling they 'really' do listen.


Absolutely fanstastic.
One more musician I can tick off the list. I hope to see her live again as soon as possible.
The experience is something I can look back on a smile about. Salt of the earth.

Oh yeah and on the way back I saw a fire juggler.



Over and Out.
ED.

No comments:

Post a Comment