Friday, September 21, 2012

My Letter That I Put Into the Cracks In The Wall Of A Ruined Cottage.

I went and stayed at my uncles place in Wales for two weeks. On the last day I decided to write a letter and walk to a crumbling ruin of a cottage... where I put the letter in a plastic case thingy and then encased the letter in a hole in the wall over the fireplace. Here is the letter I wrote...





"To the reader of this letter,



My name is Ed(ward) James Norman Astill and I come from Leicestershire England.

I am currently staying at Twistybach, which is about five or so minutes down the trackway. It is here that I am staying with my mother Helen, my brother Thomas, my twin sister Hannah and my sister Mary for two weeks as my uncle Barry and his partner Claude go on holiday to France.

I write this on the last day of our stay, after taking ourselves to Llandrindod Wells in order to ramble around the shops- messing about and buying cheap books.

I have spent a lot of my time walking along the trackway, the fields and the river which is nearby and have got soggy a few times- but I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

I have also been reading a lot and have taken advantage of the library that exists at the end of the house, overlooking the mountains.

One of the highlights of the stay was going to the nearby falls which is curiously called "Breaking- Your- Neck- Falls". None of us broke our neck but mother fell over and rolled down a steep hill for a bit- which is always going to be funny.

Visited the 13th century church of St Michael that exists in a field nearby. I was unsure if the cows and sheep were Christian because they rudely didn't answer me when I asked them.

We wandered around the church and found old graffiti in the porch area dating back to 1919- and to and a greater surprise was that most of the graffiti was written in pencil and yet to be rubbed away... that was how secluded the church was.

The family has been somewhat overfeeding and spoiling Cous Cous, the token feral cat that we have been taming too much (uncle Barry might not like that). She has been friendly and has a nice face so we have been over friendly towards her.

I woke up today and saw the geese in the fields sitting in chairs with monocles and pipes... what I really saw were four waddling individuals, squawking and being as dumb as ever- the chickens walked with their kids and paid no heed to the jibber jabber.

It was been a very good stay. I shall place this letter at the haunted house and hope that no supernatural entities nick it.

Yours Sincerly
Edward Astill."

No comments:

Post a Comment