Sunday, May 23, 2010

Walking barefoot, burning my feet and cute kids listening to stories.

Yesterday a grand fete of special magnificence was held on the University of Derby tennis courts. There was everything, from Henna tattoos to 16th century pirates putting people in stocks and soaking innocent participants to this sunny day. And the storytellers came with their fertile imaginations and ability to attract people with their wonderful tales.
We had a place set up which looked like a gypsy tent or something you might have pictured to have come directly from Arabian Nights. This tent not only looked damn good but it was good shade...no clouds, too much sun...not much wind. (There has to be wind so that the sun doesn't completely kill energy. I don't understand how people can just sunbathe in the direct heat of the sun.)
For most of the day I had my shoes and socks off, even when I went in to buy chocolate and drinks inside uni. It was probably a good thing that the people looking around the antiques fair didn't look at my feet or they would have thought I was a right hippy...not that I cared if they did or not. When next year comes round at uni I'm just going to go into workshops and tutorials completely barefoot...I'll even rest them on the table while the lesson is going on...and while I'm at it I could eat packets of crisps really loud. I won't do that......probably.
We did get an audience of little kids who listened to stories from us storytellers, a few adults did as well but I don't think that that wanted to hang about for long because the sun was hot.
At about something o'clock... about two o'clock but I can't fully remember the exact time, the flying donkeys came (these are a group of professional storytellers that are organized around Derby. I talked about them in a previous blog...the blog where I go to one of their events with a friend and afterward I realize that I left my bag at the event, then have to go back and funny stuff happens.) Anyway the Flying Donkeys came and told stories to a crowd who had a sudden charge of enthusiasm for storytelling.
OH YEAH I ALSO GOT A FREE T-SHIRT SUGGESTING I WAS A VOLUNTEER OR SOMETHING!!! It made me look vaguely important.
I think that everyone will agree that it was a good (and somewhat chilly day....and by that I mean it was ridiculously hot.)
Tis all I wish to say for this blog.
Over and Out
ED

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great time Ed! Hope you didn't get too burned while doing the storytelling thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, it was certainly very good. I didn't get too burnt, I jumped from shady patch to shady patch LOL.

    ReplyDelete